Jewish Community Chronicle
A resource for local history of the Long Beach/Orange County region
In 1947, soon after World War II and the exposure of the horrors of the Holocaust,
a group of visionary Jewish leaders, then known as the Long Beach Jewish Community
Council, in a desire to unify and connect the Jewish community, made the decision
to publish a newspaper twice monthly, which would “promote and develop harmonious
and fruitful Jewish community living”.
In 1992 the name of the paper was changed from Jewish Federation News to Jewish Community Chronicle, to better reflect the changing times and growing Jewish community. The Jewish Community Chronicle now reaches out to readers, not only in Long Beach, but in over 40 communities from the South Bay down to central Orange County, serving as a link to their heritage and community.
Use drop-down box below to select and view the past issues of the Jewish Federation News and Jewish Community Chronicles. All issues of the newspaper from February 1, 1947 through December 20, 2000 are available for viewing in Adobe PDF format. Your browser must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed which is available free of charge at the Adobe Site.
This page maintained by the Library Web Group
California State University, Long Beach
Please send questions, comments, and suggestions to the webgroup at the address above.